Monday, December 7, 2009

Potato Parmesan Soup

Ingredients:
8 peeled and chopped potatoes
3 green onions chopped (save green for garnish)
1 minced garlic clove (I personally like more garlic, but when i tried more in this recipe it was really overpowering.)
1 1/2 tablespoons course ground pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 quart heavy cream (for a less rich option I did half cream half milk)
1 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese
Optional:
5 Tbs Chives (I used Scallions but I think adding chives make it taste even better)
6 strips Bacon


Directions:
1. Boil and puree potatoes (be sure to salt the water). The creamier the mash, the better. Mine was kind of lumpy, which my mom liked but I did not.
2. Add chopped white part of green onion, chives, bacon, garlic, heavy cream, salt, and pepper. Cook on low heat for 30 minutes.
3. Add parmesan cheese five minutes to the end of the cook time. Take off of the burner and allow the cheese to melt completely into warmed soup.
4. Salt and pepper to taste. add greens as the garnish and more bacon bit pieces for a colorful look.

Recipe Source: My Friend Anthony! (Thanks Anthony!)

AMENDMENT: OKAY! So now that I've made this I think what would make this OUTSTANDING is to add a little finely chopped bacon or lardon to the soup. Alternatively, if you're a vegetarian, it really does NEED the fat content. Try mashing the potatoes with the cream in order to get the smoothest possible texture. Also maybe add some rosemary or some other herb to give it an additional dimension of flavor. Very good basic soup recipe. Very simple recipe and perfect for a cold winter night when you don't have much in the fridge. Could be done with Cheddar Cheese too, for a totally different and very American classic feel. Thanks Anthony!

Tonight I added 6 strips of bacon, chopped into "bacon bit" sized pieces as well as some chives, about 5 table spoons to 2 quarts of soup. IT WAS FANTASTIC. My mom even said "this soup was so perfect for a cold winter night like this!"

2 comments:

  1. To make it thicker you could probably also use the non-fat half and half?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good idea!

    But you know the potatoes are really starchy and add a lot of thickness. In some ways I wish it was thinner.

    ReplyDelete

My title page contents